ARCHAEOLIGIA SCOTICA - 1st Ed 1831-57, 3 Vols SCOTTISH SCOTLAND ANCIENT HISTORY
ARCHAEOLOGIA SCOTICA: OR, TRANSACTIONS OF THE SOCIETY OF ANTIQUARIES OF SCOTLAND — VOLUME IV, PARTS I-III
Book Details + Condition: Society of the Antiquaries of Scotland (Edinburgh). First Edition, 1831 (Pt. I); 1833 (Pt. II); 1857 (Pt. III). Softcover. Three volumes. Very scarce in the first edition, softcover formats. Varied page counts, approximately 200 pages total. Three volumes on Scottish antiquities and ancient history, featuring essays and articles by various writers. Also included are Roman subjects, and the interaction of Rome with ancient Britain. Some small illustrations throughout, with larger plates to last pages of each book. Topics include:
- The Battle of Mons Grampius
- Account of the Hawthornden Manuscripts (and Extracts)
- Earlier History of the Clan Gregor
- Observations of Vitrified Forts
- Notes by William Drummond, of Conversations with Ben Jonson
- Account of the Discovery of Numerous Ancient Canoes
- Account of the Cyrenaic Antiquities
- Notes on an Ancient Cave, discovered at Aldham, now called Seacliff
- And much more.
The pages of parts II & III remain uncut, thus unread. Firm binding; normal wear to covers, with some discoloration present (and writing to covers of one), as well as the paper to spine of pt II being worn off; interiors are clean and free of markings (and as mentioned, remain mainly uncut).